Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Xandaman update! Week 34: humility in push-ups and following the Holy Ghost

When you live in a Pepsi town, you have to take a tour of the Pepsi
Plant! It's pretty sweet. They bottle 48 different favors of soda! And
they bottle Aquavista water as well.

Yesterday, we went to dinner at the Wittwers. Their kids are crazy,
but funny. The 6 year old beat us in a push-up contest. Let's just say
I let him win ;)

Now let's talk about some awesome people:

The Cottrells are an awesome family! President Cottrell is the Stake
President, sister Cottrell is deaf, and they have a foreign exchange
student from Thailand! Going there just makes me feel uplifted, and
teaching there is great practice! We have to speak very clearly so
sister Cottrell can understand, and teach simply so Nam-Wan can
understand. Nam-Wan doesn't have a Christian background at all, so the
Cottrells are able to reaffirm their belief in Christ as they teach
her who He is.

We got to go to a baptism of a new convert in the first Ward named
Chance. Since he is a Senior track star, he had a lot of friends show
up. The chapel was packed! We brought our investigator Branson. He was
surprised to see that the baptism part is not very elaborate or
complex. The talks were quite long, but very good. President Cottrell
spoke about the Holy Ghost and some of his experiences with
promptings. During his talk, I felt a strong feeling that I needed to
follow the promptings of the Holy Ghost better. I was able to do that
this week.

One example; it was around 8:20 and we were driving around visiting
prospective elders, and we hadn't had much success. On the way to one
persons house, the words, 'don't go there', come to my head, so we
instead went to a different house that I had planned on doing later.
The house was dark, but we knocked anyway, and I'm glad we did. We
found a man who was at a critical time in his life where he was
deciding whether or not he wanted to return to the church. I'm so glad
we showed up there and were able to encourage him and bring the Spirit
into his life more.

We also had a good lesson with another new investigator named Ashley.
I was kind of struggling to teach that day, but it was still a great
lesson because she brought out concerns that we were able to resolve.
She is also at a critical time in her life where she is searching for
the doctrine or church that will feel good in her heart. I'm glad she
is so open!

Last but not least, Richard! We have been a little worried about him
because he didn't come to general conference nor church. We later
found out what happened in our lesson yesterday. He is still solid! He
wants to be baptized! He was able to get his old job back which is a
miracle. He wasn't even searching for one! His boss respects that he
wants to go to church and meet with us! He is filled with the Spirit
and you can tell! We might have to push the date of the 23, but I
don't have doubt that he'll get baptized!

I just have to say, I'm learning a lot and changing for the better! I
didn't think I'd be where I'm at now because of my mission. I'm lovin
it! Thank you all for your love and support!

Elder Wylie

May the Spirit be with you

No comments:

Post a Comment