Monday, August 29, 2016

Wylie coyote: Charity wins!

Here are five things that I've learned or experienced this week, just
in case you wanted to know :)

1. Steers with horns can be pretty intimidating! We went up to try and
visit this guy named Alfredo, and there was this black and white steer
standing in his front yard. It looked pretty content, but as we
approached the front door, it started walking right at us! So we
stopped, thought about a new plan, then walked around to the side
door. The steer followed us around, but never got too close. It was
pretty funny.

2. This Ward is sweet! We finally started going to Ward council and
having more frequent Ward missionary meetings. I've just loved to see
the charity and compassion these members have for the people that need
help. We also started using a progress record to keep track of where
everyone is at. That really made a difference! This Ward is helping us
get things done!

3. Do you have a hard time changing a normal conversation to a gospel
conversation? Do you want to know the secret to talking with everyone
about the gospel? Well here it is! It comes from a quote from Elder
Holland; "But perhaps even more important than speaking is listening.
These people are not lifeless objects disguised as a baptismal
statistic. They are children of God, our brothers and sisters, and
they need what we have. Be genuine. Reach out sincerely. Ask these
friends what matters most to them. What do they cherish, and what do
they hold dear? And then listen. If the setting is right you might ask
what their fears are, what they yearn for, or what they feel is
missing in their lives. I promise you that something in what they say
will always highlight a truth of the gospel about which you can bear
testimony and about which you can then offer more. Elder Russell
Nelson told me once that one of the first rules of medical inquiry is
“Ask the patient where it hurts. The patient,” he said, “will be your
best guide to a correct diagnosis and eventual remedy.” If we listen
with love, we won’t need to wonder what to say. It will be given to
us--by the Spirit and by our friends."(PMG chapter 10, or 'Witness
unto Me' May 2001 Ensign) So there you have it! When you ask people
what's most important to them and what they most need, elder holland
says they will ALWAYS highlight a truth of the gospel about which you
can bear testimony. This way, it shows you care, and they won't feel
pressured, they will feel helped.

4. One morning, we were out walking the streets and we ran into a lady
we've started working with. Cheryl said, before we even got to her,
"I've been looking for you guys!" She told us some cool stuff.
Whenever she sees us, she feels peace in her heart. She is trying to
read the Book of Mormon, but can't understand it well, so we are going
to read it with her soon. I'm excited for Cheryl! I think she really
has an open heart to the gospel.

5. My last point is more of a challenge for you, but it really helped
me organize my thoughts on what I need to be working on. What I did,
and what I challenge you to do, is this. Set aside a little isolated
time and start with a prayer. Then on a sheet of paper, answer these
three questions. 
1: What actual experiences have I had where I have
felt the influence of the Atonement of Jesus Christ.
2: What things do I currently need the Atonement for. 
3: How I am going to use the Atonement to help me. 

This little activity really helped me see what I need the Atonement for right now and where my testimony is at. It will
definitely help your testimony grow as well.

Well, that's all I've got this week. I hope you all have a great week
and have some good experiences!

Elder Wylie


No comments:

Post a Comment